Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Icebox Strawberry Pie With Homemade Whipped Cream

I hope every one's Easter was a good one. We really think of it as more of a time to gather with family and it was actually low key for us this year. My Dad visited with a teenage boy that he has been mentoring. It was nice to meet him for the first time and he was very polite. We had a good time!

I usually tend to go overload with making food and desserts for gatherings, but my hubby kept me in check by telling me we weren't having too many people over so don't over do it! Everything I made was really easy and really delicious!!

One recipe that was THE BOMB! was the Icebox Strawberry Pie with homemade whipped cream. I saw the recipe on a show called America's Test Kitchen on PBS during last week. I HAD to make this! It looked soooo delicious so I am going to share it with you. Best of all it is NO BAKE! You do need to use the stove top but no oven cooking! You will need a fridge, but we all have one of those!


Icebox Strawberry Pie


From the episode: Two Perfect Pies
In step 1, it is imperative that the cooked strawberry mixture measures 2 cups; any more and the filling will be loose. If your fresh berries aren’t fully ripe, you may want to add extra sugar to taste in step 2. Use your favorite pie dough (I actually just bought a premade shortbread pie crust). Chill the heavy cream in step 4 to help it whip more quickly.
Serves 8. 

Ingredients

Filling
2pounds frozen strawberries (see related tasting)
2tablespoons lemon juice
2tablespoons water
1tablespoon unflavored gelatin
1cup sugar
Pinch salt
1pound fresh strawberries , hulled and sliced thin
1(9 inch) pie shell , baked and cooled (or premade pie shell)


Topping
4ounces cream cheese, softened
3tablespoons sugar
1/2teaspoon vanilla extract
1cup heavy cream

Instructions

  1. 1. COOK FROZEN BERRIES Cook frozen berries in large saucepan over medium-low heat until berries begin to release juice, about 3 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high and cook, stirring frequently, until thick and jamlike, about 25 minutes (mixture should measure 2 cups).

  2. 2. ADD GELATIN Combine lemon juice, water, and gelatin in small bowl. Let stand until gelatin is softened and mixture has thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir gelatin mixture, sugar, and salt into cooked berry mixture and return to simmer, about 2 minutes. Transfer to bowl and cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes.

  3. 3. ADD FRESH BERRIES Fold fresh berries into filling. Spread evenly in pie shell and refrigerate until set, about 4 hours. (Filled pie can be refrigerated for 24 hours.)

  4. 4. MAKE TOPPING With electric mixer on medium speed, beat cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla until smooth, about 30 seconds. With mixer running, add cream and whip until stiff peaks form, about 2 minutes. Serve pie with whipped cream topping.
 
Recipe Testing
Don't Make This Mistake
In step 1, be sure to accurately measure the reduced strawberry mixture: You’ll need exactly 2 cups. Scrape the strawberry mixture into a large liquid measuring cup. If it measures more than 2 cups, return it to the pan to cook down. It may seem fussy to stop to measure, but the pie will not set or slice properly if you have more than 2 cups of the strawberry mixture.


Ok, now my take on this pie is that it is super delish! But it is a tad sweet, which I love! It will cure a sweet tooth for sure. One thing that I did notice was that my pie was a bit more runny. I would have liked it to be more firm, but after putting it in the freezer that helped a lot. The whipped topping was our favorite. My husband said I should just make the topping and have it in our fridge all of the time! Super easy and super good overall, and nothing can beat that.

What did you make for Easter dinner? Share your recipes with me, I am always looking for more!

1 comment:

  1. MMMMMM!! Ok, this is a perfect sweet tooth satisfier!! I can't wait to make it! It's got to be healthier than any other fruit type of pie and lower in calories! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I love feedback! Thanks ahead for any comments