Friday, May 11, 2012

I DID IT!

I did it! I got up on stage and read a personal story in front of 350 people. And I wasn't as much of a blubbery mess and I thought I was going to be!

I was SO! nervous too. Which I wasn't expecting, but it was a good nervous. I was given so many texts, cards, and phone calls of encouraging and loving words before the show. Those really got me through the nerves too! Many of my close friends and family came to the show and that meant so much to me. To get up there and share my story was such a great experience. I hope to be part of something this wonderful again.

My story was called "Some Good Advice" and was about me being able to not hold in all of my grief of losing my mom. It was about letting it all out, and it being ok to cry and that it is actually helpful.
The director of the show, Stephanie Precourt, mentioned that this show was about sharing our story and if one person was touched and could relate to it, then the show and our stories were a success.

After the show we all gathered in the lobby to "meet and greet" the audience as they left. I got lots of hugs and congratulations from those I knew that attended the show. I also got a lot of hugs and nods of knowing from women who said they liked my story because they also had lost their mom to cancer. But one woman really resonated with me throughout the night and today. I was standing there and she pointed at me and looked me straight in the eyes and said "You!". Since I didn't know her I thought maybe she was pointing to someone else until she came up to me and gave me a hug and told me in my ear," Thank you for your story. It really meant a lot to me. I lost my mom and I went shopping in Old Navy and saw other moms and daughters together and just started bawling!" She was my one person. She cemented the fact that I am not alone in the struggles of losing a mom, and neither is she. This made me so thankful that no matter how hard it was to go on stage and share my story, it was worth it to be truly heard and touched by that one person.

~~~
Thank you to all the strong beautiful women in the show that touched my heart and also everyone's heart in the audience last night. 
Especially thank you to everyone who attended and took something away from the show. I have heard nothing but positive comments from everyone who attended. 
And THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU to Ann Imig for getting this started and Stephanie Precourt for being the amazing, organized, thoughtful and strong person she is!

Please check out all of the beautiful woman's blogs who were also in the show:


5 comments:

  1. Oh, you have me in tears. I love this. Thank you, Stephanie!!! Happy Mother's Day!

    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! Your reading was wonderful. I know your mom is smiling down on you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You were amazing. I think the whole row behind me were passing the tissue. Thanks for sharing your story. I'm Steph's mom, by the way and I know how proud she was of everyone. Great Post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will always remember holding my breathe for you, and then exhaling...;) You're awesome, and I'm so glad that LTYM has introduced us. You're mom was with you, and she was so proud!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, you told a story that mattered to THIS one too. Motherless daughters need the cry, need the laugh and need the permission to grieve you gave out, THANK YOU.

    ReplyDelete

I love feedback! Thanks ahead for any comments