Thursday, January 30, 2014

Bloody Good Time

YAY! I donated blood today! It may not seem like a big deal to a lot of people, but it was actually something that I have been wanting (and trying) to do for a few years.
 
Donating blood is close to my heart since my mom had to get quite a few blood transfusions when she was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. They were a life saver at times.
 
The year after her passing was a hard one for me and I decided to get out there and donate blood because it was something that was felt so close to home. After going through the interview part of the donation and getting my hemoglobin tested, I was told that it was too low and I wasn't able to donate at that time. I was literally crushed. I walked away with tears in my eyes. I didn't let it get me down and decided to try again after that. I ate all the right food, drank lots of water and headed to the donation center-only to be told my hemoglobin was still too low! Crushed again, I decided to wait longer in between trying again.
My boys' school was holding a blood drive tonight and I decided to give a third go-and IT WORKED! I was very nervous that my hemoglobin count was too low again but it was perfect this time. YAY! I know, I know, not a super big deal to some other people, but it was an emotional accomplishment for me. I felt that my blood could go on down the line and help someone in the same position as my mom, giving that persons family more time to love them.
 
Please, please, please go donate blood. It is free and doesn't take much time. And most importantly,
IT CAN SAVE A LIFE!


1 comment:

  1. This made me cry a little...in a good way. And I love your blog post, It's been a while. :) Love ya!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love feedback! Thanks ahead for any comments